Our Commitment to Sustainability
At Palmer Planter Company, our commitment to making ethical and environmentally sustainable products, is an extension of our personal commitment to supporting fair trade, low-impact, local manufacturing, and plastic free products.
When something is sustainable, it means it can continue, be prolonged. When you build a house, you first lay a foundation upon which all other parts are built. Our commitments to ethical and environmentally sustainable manufacturing are the foundational guide points that we believe will support our growth and continued operation.
Our Green Strategies
- Clay made in the USA.
- Renewable energy to fire our kilns.
- USA made recycled paper and cardboard packaging to ship our pots instead of plastic packaging.
- Low waste production methods.
- Non-toxic glaze and clay materials
- Carbon credits with every web order that ships via UPS.
For us, sustainability must also take into account the people who make and buy our pots.
We are committed to providing a healthy, safe, and sustainable work environment.
Our Ethical Commitments
We choose to:
- Always pay employees a living wage or above, as defined by the MIT living wage calculator.
- Keep our production studio clean and silica-dust free to ensure the continued health of our staff.
- We only sell through retail partners that support safe working conditions and pay a fair wage. Our products are not available on Amazon.com.
- We purchase our production materials and shipping supplies from companies that are committed to ethical treatment of their employees and to environmentally sustainable business practices.
As potters by training and trade, we have spent two decades making cups, plates, and bowls to be shown in galleries across the US. We fully believe in the power a handmade object has to connect people. This connection can come through a note enclosed in a box, or a meaningful conversation had at a farmers market between maker and buyer.